Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Carefree Life

Early morning, my eyes caught a very beautiful sight: Two white pigeons, seated comfortably at the edge of the tallest building in our area, unconcerned about what was going on around them; the heavy traffic on the highway or people going in and out of the crematorium below, the morning news of global warming, war, famine or the rise in the oil price did not interfere with their serene enjoyment of peace.

I remembered a comic I read sometime back: One robin was asking the other: "Why do the humans rush around worried most of the time?" The second robin's answer was, "Perhaps they do not have a heavenly father who feeds and cares for them, like ours!". It is amusing, but we do worry like that! That seems to be the human tendency.

It's no wonder that Jesus, in Mathew 6:25-27, said: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life; what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; They do not sow or reap or store away in barns, yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?". What a timely question for our present day!

According to Jesus, the ones who worry are the pagans, who do not know the true God or those who do not believe in the promise of the the omnipotent God. Jesus added that your heavenly father KNOWS that you have needs. But seek FIRST His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. [Mat.6:33] What a great promise!

Why don't we give it a try and benefit from it? Once we decide to give all our needs for today and the future into His hands, we will experience him as a promise keeping God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Elisabeth,I enjoy reading your devotion. I agree with the second robin.One day in 1983,when my husband lost his job,I was distraugth.
I heard the HOLY SPIRIT saying Mat6:26 ,I was on the street, I went to my car and read the verse. A peace fell over me that day and stay with me till this day . the peace that pass all understanding as the Lord of the LORD promess to those who trust in HIM.